Subject: vim-5.0k uses terminfo, "hangs" loading file
From: [email-masked] (James Dumser)

24 Jul 1997 11:16:06 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: James Dumser <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed; boundary="BeyondBoundary_1_Thu_Jul_24_11:36:50_1997__29"
X-Mailer: BeyondMail for Windows/Professional 2.3
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-BeyondMail-Priority: 1
Conversation-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Receipt-From-Agent: true
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

--BeyondBoundary_1_Thu_Jul_24_11:36:50_1997__29
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit

I just installed Sergey's latest (with misc-fixes1) coolview. To be able
to use the tty/pty enhancements, I attempted to get vim (5.0k) compiled 
under cygwin32. (I set CYGWIN_NOTTY in the mean time.)

Ran configure and noticed that it chose terminfo over termcap (I 
previously installed termcap-1.3). Since everyone's been talking about 
cs capabilities in termcap recently, this surprised me. Configure also 
saw I had X11 libraries and tried to use them, resulting in many 
warnings about "type 'int' assumed" (or some such) -- didn't want it 
anyway, so I turned off the X11 stuff.

The compile completed cleanly except for some warnings about signed to 
unsigned comparisons (e.g., at ex_docmd.c:4767), but the resulting 
executable doesn't want to load files. "./vim INSTALL" just sits there. 
If I hit ^C, it will report '"INSTALL" Interrupted'; if I kill it, it 
tries to write to .viminfo (which it says is unwritable).

I then tried to recompile it, editing config.h to force it to use 
termcap rather than terminfo. The compile completed successfully (no 
obvious differences in warnings), but the executable performs the same 
as above.

I'm including my config.cache; if you've got 5.0k (or 5.0h?) to compile,
would you compare your config.cache to mine and let me know of any 
discrepancies?

-- 
James Dumser  972.462.5335  [email-masked]

--BeyondBoundary_1_Thu_Jul_24_11:36:50_1997__29
Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="config~1.cac"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: X-UUENCODE
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="config~1.cac"

--BeyondBoundary_1_Thu_Jul_24_11:36:50_1997__29--
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".