Subject: Re: Confused...
From: [email-masked] ("Kyle R. Rose")

21 Jul 1997 23:46:29 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <9707220554.AA05286.cygnus.gnu-win32@dirac>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
In-Reply-To: [email-masked]'s message of Tue, 22 Jul 97 07:57:50 +0400.
	     <01BC9678.74E99BC0@sos> 
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

 > ??? I'm using unmodified b18 binaries (except bash and ps) with the new dll.
      Do you have a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group?

Yeah, I guess I was too timid to go around replacing copies of 
cygwin.dll, because I figured that it wouldn't go looking for new copies 
once one was loaded into memory.  Well, this is Windows... :)  So, now it 
works.

However, I have another couple of problems, perhaps related, perhaps 
not.  I have indeed replaced all libcygwin.a's and cygwin.dll's AND all 
bash.exe's and sh.exe's with the new version, but when I load up bash, I get 
this:

bash.exe: /usr/users/krose/.bashrc: (null)
bash.exe-2.01$

where $HOME is /usr/users/krose, as set in the Systems control panel.  It 
also happens if I try to use "." or "source" to source a file, as in:

bash.exe-2.01$ . /etc/profile
bash.exe: /etc/profile: (null)
bash.exe-2.01$

bash-2.01$ source /etc/profile
bash: /etc/profile: (null)
bash-2.01$

Needless to say, it isn't processing my .bashrc, regardless of what's in 
it.  I did not have this problem with the old bash.

Things that appear broken under the new cygwin.dll, possibly just 
requiring a relinking (although I don't know -- I didn't find anything 
about them in the older archives, but it's hard/impossible to search 
through the 1997 archives):

telnet (the command line version)
vim (my screen goes all wacky colors and I can't do anything with the cursor)

(Final note: Excuse my spouting if these are all covered in the archives,
but I didn't have several hours on a 24000 connection to parse through the
archives which haven't been tarred up yet.)

Thanks again,

-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Kyle R. Rose                              | Cornell University, Class of '98
 Email: [email-masked]                   |   Department of Computer Science
 http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/krr2/ |        Department of Mathematics
-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 "I don't have low self-esteem.....I have  |   Discuss CORNELL HOCKEY ONLINE!
 low esteem for everyone else." - Daria    |  http://www.csuglab.cornell.edu/
-------------------------------------------+      cgi-bin/krr2/hockeymain.cgi
 [SPAMPROOF EMAIL ADDRESS] Replace under-  |  -- L E T ' S - G O - R E D ! --
 scores in email address with a good guess +----------------------------------
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".