Subject: Confused...
From: [email-masked] ("Kyle R. Rose")

21 Jul 1997 09:52:26 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <9707211540.AA09798.cygnus.gnu-win32@feynman>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

This is mostly directed toward Sergey, though anyone is welcome to respond:

I am new to the cygwin project, having decided that I would like to run 
my NT apps without giving up the command line and X-based power that I've 
grown used to with Linux for the past 3 years.  So, my actual question is:

I have downloaded the B18 binaries, installed them, and they work fine.  
But, I would like to run your (Sergey's) telnetd; unfortunately, it comes 
with a version of cygwin.dll which is incompatible with all the binaries 
in B18 which were linked with the B18 cygwin.dll.

So, I downloaded the source code (cdksrc.exe) and have installed that.  
However, I am confused about the diffs on your homepage: are they patches 
to the B18 source code, or to an intermediate stage which I don't have 
access to?  Or would it simply be easier for me to relink all the cygwin 
binaries against the new cygwin.dll?  I am planning of developing for 
this (I'm in the process of porting zsh, for which I'll have a few 
questions in a couple of days, once I get them formulated to my 
satisfaction), so if that makes a difference to your answer, by all 
means, tell me to recompile the entire library. :)

Thanks to everyone who's made this possible.  I would never have
considered switching to NT full time without bash and some of the more
common utilities.  NT is made palatable by UNIX. 

-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Kyle R. Rose                              | Cornell University, Class of '98
 Email: [email-masked]                   |   Department of Computer Science
 http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/krr2/ |        Department of Mathematics
-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 "I don't have low self-esteem.....I have  |   Discuss CORNELL HOCKEY ONLINE!
 low esteem for everyone else." - Daria    |  http://www.csuglab.cornell.edu/
-------------------------------------------+      cgi-bin/krr2/hockeymain.cgi
 [SPAMPROOF EMAIL ADDRESS] Replace under-  |  -- L E T ' S - G O - R E D ! --
 scores in email address with a good guess +----------------------------------
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".