Subject: Re: Why can't I access my SCSI DAT drive with tar under NT?
From: [email-masked] (Robert Matzinger)

18 Jul 1997 07:15:13 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <3.0.1.32.19970718123057.007494c8.cygnus.gnu-win32@localhost>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: matzi#mahler.kr.tuwien.ac.at@localhost
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked] (Michael Hirmke)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 20:09 17-07-97 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>[...]
>> \\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text=binary
>[...]
>> no-mixed,text!=binary $ tar -tvf /dev/st0
>> tar: Cannot open /dev/st0: No such file or directory
>> $
>
>Same problem here - external SCSI DAT HP C1536A attached to a AHA2940
>BIOS 1.23.

I already posted this message on the mailing list, however let me repeat my
solution for Win95:

I don't know a solution within the Cygnus routines. However I have a 
a 32-bit tar version that works with SCSI tapes. 
At least it works under Win95. You can run it in a DOS-box or on a 
(cygnus) bash-prompt as you like.
You have to set the SCSI-ID of the tape as a DOS Variable in Win95. There
should be a similar mechanism under WinNT.

I frequently exchange data with a Sun running Solaris via the DAT-drive,
there is no problem. Just very seldom on very large backups (>1.5GB) the
"taring" sometimes becomes unstable. But I suppose this is rather a hardware
(or SCSI-driver) problem on my particular machine. 

I know of two versions of this "Gnu Tar with ASPI patch" as it is commonly
called. One I found at a strange Japanese ftp-space, which I never could 
access again after that. The other lies around somewhere at Uni Koeln. 

As they were so hard to find, I made them available at my own 
public ftp-space at 
   ftp://ftp.kr.tuwien.ac.at/pub/matzinger/win95tar
I hope I do not violate any copyright restrictions. There's a README in this 
directory, which you should read. 

However if there is a better solution (e.g. within the CyGnus routines) 
I would be very interested to learn about that.

Hope this is of help. Happy taring.

    Triholareidulioe
        Robert Matzinger

                                                      \|/
+------------------------------------+----------uuuu-Q Q-uuuu------------+
| D.I. Robert Matzinger              |                U                  |
| Technische Universitaet Wien       | phone : +43 1 58801/81 96         |
| Inst. f. Informationssysteme       | fax :   +43 1 581 79 66           |
| Abt. f. Wissensbasierte System     | mailto:[email-masked]      |
| Treitlstr. 3, A-1040 Vienna,AUSTRIA| http://www.kr.tuwien.ac.at/~matzi |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".