Subject: Using tty code for serial Ports
From: [email-masked] (Mike Bernson)

16 Jul 1997 22:30:32 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (X11; I; BSD/OS 3.0 i386)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I would like to use the tty code for serial ports.

What I was hoping for a way the serial port could attach
to a tty code allowing callbacks for reading, write, ioctl.

This would allow a single interface for code wanting a tty driver
style interface. I did not see any way for this to happen. Did I
overlook something.

I was hoping that the code was broken into 2 logical parts tty
driver code and raw character device code. With this split I could
add the serial port code to tty code.

The pty code then be just anyother device with input/output
half connected.

Is this the direction that thing are moving but I do not see it or
are them moveing in a different path.

I would think that console, serial ports, Print Port, and pty would
be sharing upper level of code.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".