Subject: Re: GNUWIN32 build environment
From: [email-masked] (Patrick Doyle)

16 Jul 1997 08:25:14 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> (message from Geoffrey
	Noer on Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22: 31:27 -0700 (PDT))
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Oops, sorry about the previous message, I zigged when I meant to zag.

   > Also,
   > having played a little with the usertools source, I am curious how you
   > manage to install ".exe" files.  Do you use the
   > "program-transform-name" option?

   This is what some nastiness in the dosrel subdirectory Makefile takes care
   of.  It's the last thing that's done during the install and it makes
   the necessary modifications to the install tree.  This is not intended to
   be a long-term solution.

Ahh, I see.  I didn't bother to extract dosrel because I was only
interested in making a few minor changes to some specific programs
(see my other mail message).  Unfortunately, as you are no doubt
aware, this technique probably won't work and should not be needed (I
haven't tried yet) on my W95 machine because, in order to convince
"install" to work, I have to add the .exe extension to the filename in
the makefile.

For the "long-term" solution, do you plan on makeing GCC-esq $(exeext)
to the makefiles for all of the rest of the packages installed with
GNUWIN32?  Would you be interested in patched makefiles for the few
packages I have/will have modified?

One more thing...  I have noticed that the installed utilties have
been stripped.  Where does that occur in your build process?  Have you
set your "INSTALL" environment variable to be "install -s"?  Is there
some other magic subdirectory that I missed (in the user-tools
package)?

-- 
--patrick

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".