Subject: Invalid DLL on NT.(was Re: Console GUI, bad dll executables)
From: [email-masked] (Eric Britten)

15 Jul 1997 18:20:45 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

When I try to run a program I wrote on NT I get the following error.

The application or DLL c:\temp\gnugui.dll is not a valid Windows NT image.

My program included an exe and its dll.  I produced these two executables
with b18.  However they will run on Windows 95.

The executables can be found at
http://pages.prodigy.com/britten/gnugui/conguib3a.zip

Using quickview I found that the name of a section dealing with stabs had
some invalid characters.  The section was
..stabstri[B]
where i is i with the umlaut and [B] was just an undefinable character
that looks like a box.

I have studied PE images before and seem to remember that section names
can only be 8 characters long. This section is 10 characters long.  Could
this be the problem?  And if so why doesn't Windows 95 flag this as an
error.  If this is the problem I will build the dll without debug info and
post it to my website above by wednesday June 16.

This could be a bug in ld.

Thanks for any help.

-----------------------------------------------
		Eric Britten
		  Treasurer
	      President  Elect
      Chemical Engineering Honor Society
	      [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".