Subject: cygnus bugs
From: [email-masked] (Tim Newsham)

12 Jul 1997 13:54:03 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24 PGP3 *ALPHA*]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

   More bugs I've run across:

- popen() seems to be buggy.  When run in large complex
  programs, I often get a crash if I use popen().  If
  I substitue system() "> file" and fopen the file instead of
  popen everything seems to work properly (I do use pclose()
  for popen'ed fp's, and fclose for fopen'ed fp's).  In
  small test cases, popen seems to behave properly.  Gdb
  seems to get confused when I try to debug programs with
  either system() or popen() (both of which use spawn() I
  believe).
  (GDB reports popen crashes in malloc in spawn, but I
  dont know if I trust the stack trace since gdb also
  reported system() crashing there in programs that run
  fine outside of gdb).

- find follows unix symlinks when using samba.  Perhaps
  this is a deficiency in samba and not cygwin.

- getnetbyname() is defined as cygwin32_getnetbyname(),
  but isn't actually implemented anywhere.

- "mv" behaves strangely across mount points.  "mv ./foo ./mnt"
  where "mnt" is a mount point will place "foo" into the
  (hidden) directory under the mount point, and not to
  the mounted filesystem.

- cygwin does not properly transform command line path names across
  mount points.  If I am on drive "D:" and type "vi /tmp/foo",
  I end up editing "D:\tmp\foo" and not "C:\tmp\foo" even though
  "/tmp" is on "C:".  (vi is not compiled with cygwin).
  Cygwin should transform the path to "C:\tmp\foo" for the benefit
  of non-cygwin applications.

                                       Tim N.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".