Subject: Re: Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms
From: [email-masked] (Tom)

12 Jul 1997 09:07:30 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (Win95; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

First: I really appreciate the work that cygnus and the contributors to
this tool set have done. I mean it.

Now. This licensing issue further strengthens my belief that in becoming
a Java programmer I am doing the right thing. I dont want to fight the
OS wars, the licensing wars, et al, ad nauseum. I want to use linux,
maybe make a small contribution to it as a personal choice. I wish to
write my code there and let it 'just run' on any lame box some user
wants to have in front of him. I wish cygnus and the other developers
who contribute freely to this effort the best of luck. I feel that the
shell and the command line tools are extremely useful for those of us
who dont care to use right click, pull-down, select button,
blah-blah-blah type interfaces when we are forced, in the course of
events, to have to drive one these abominations. However, for
development, Im going to try to make it Java and chinga Bill$.

Per Abrahamsen wrote:
> 
> Jim Pick <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I certainly hope beta 18 doesn't turn out to be the last "GNU-Win32".
> 
> Well, if nobody cares enough to work an a free Unix emulation layer
> for Win32, then it deserves to die.
> 
> > Yuck.  At least I haven't spent a lot of time working on it...
> 
> Yep.  I'm glad the new license came _before_ I started to port our
> application to win32.
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".