Subject: Re: Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms
From: [email-masked] (Marcus G. Daniels)

11 Jul 1997 19:21:09 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Jim Pick <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked] (Gordon Irlam), [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: Jim Pick's message of Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:30:25 -0700
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.5/Emacs 20.0
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "JP" == Jim Pick <[email-masked]> writes:

JP> I was hoping we could base a Debian distribution
JP> on it.  Unfortunately, this isn't "free" enough to qualify for
JP> inclusion into the Debian base system

That's an interesting idea.  Remember that Debian-2.0 will be based on
the GNU C Library.  Because of Cygnus' proprietary interests, Cygwin32
uses their inferior `newlib' library, along with the winsup C++
sources.

The thing to do would be to organize the b18 winsup sources into a
GPLed glibc addon, so that this hypothetical Win32 Debian system would
have the exact same interface as the GNU/Linux sibling.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".