Subject: Re: BugView updated.
From: [email-masked] (David Coe)

11 Jul 1997 17:49:59 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <01BC8D43.D61EA8B0@sos>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Original-To: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: "'gnu-win32'" <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> 
> Pseudo-tty support added. The binary archive includes cygwin-compiled rxvt
> X terminal emulator. You need cygwin-compiled X11R6.3 distribution to be
> installed to /usr/X11R6.3 to run rxvt. Working on inetutils-1.3 telnetd...

Nice work, Sergey .. I particularly like the rxvt!

The principle of CYGWIN_NOTTY seem a good idea. Although of course it is
possible to re-port back to gnu-win32 all those old unix apps (less,
ncftp, micro emacs, emacs -nw, beav, elvis) it would be a shame to lose
the ability to launch their existing native console-direct
implementations from the same command window.

Unless I'm doing something wrong though, CYGWIN_NOTTY is not doing quite
the thing I would expect (at least on NT4). Setting it before launching
bash is fine - I get a cygwin environment that allows console direct but
not pseudo-tty. Setting it within bash, however, does not switch to
allow launching of console direct apps; in fact, even things like ls no
longer produce output!! 

Have you also made some changes to the reporting and use of ownership?
Ls -l now reports usernames rather than numerical IDs. There is, for
example, some impact (which I don't yet understand) on the operation of
the command line in mc-4.0 which works fine (with a # prompt) using your
cygwin.dll from 06 Jul but only works under an Administrator account
using the 10 Jul dll. From a User account it gives (correctly) a $
prompt but (incorrectly) will launch nothing from it ... just like with
the unpatched B18 cygwin.dll.

Anyway, it's all very exciting.

-- 
Dr David Coe			     \=\
58 Fairlawn Drive, East Grinstead     \=\   Tel +44 1342 326860
West Sussex, RH19 1NT, United Kingdom  \=\  Fax +44 1342 316019
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".