Subject: Re: Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

11 Jul 1997 01:23:06 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]> writes:

>Cygnus is a for-profit free software company.  This new license attempts to
>make the Cygwin32 technology as usable as possible by others as long as
>doing so does not directly work against our business interests.

Do you consider what is good for other free software developers as being
bad for Cygnus's business interests?

I think it is in Cygnus's interests to foster cooperation between
different free software developers.  By licensing cygwin32 only under
the new cygwin32 license, Cygnus is making use of cygwin32 difficult
for other free software developers that happen to make
Embedded_Systems_Development_Software or Compiler_Suites.
The new license prevents organizations such as my own (the Mercury
research group at the University of Melbourne) or ACT (the free
software company that supports GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler)
from distributing cygwin.dll.  This may or may not be good
for Cygnus, but it certainly seems bad for free software, IMHO.

--
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".