Subject: Re: Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

10 Jul 1997 21:03:38 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Marcus G. Daniels)
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Marcus G. Daniels" at Jul 9, 97 08:21:47 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> 
> In the free software community, the question for contributors is
> whether it makes sense to work on the cygwin32 Unix emulation code now
> that it is no longer free software.

Whether it will still be free software or not once it is under the new
license agreement is a question that could be debated for a long time.
(Let's not though).  :-)

Some people see Cygwin32 as significantly more free under the new
license since it will be much more usable for commercial projects.  Others
will feel that software not under the (L)GPL is not truly free.  Both
views are probably right to some extent.

Cygnus is a for-profit free software company.  This new license attempts to
make the Cygwin32 technology as usable as possible by others as long as
doing so does not directly work against our business interests.  This
seems quite fair to me.

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".