Subject: cp problem on Win95, mv question
From: [email-masked] (Mark Ruys)

10 Jul 1997 09:21:30 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain
X-Mailer: exmh version 2.0delta 6/3/97
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-url: http://www.cs.kun.nl/~markr/
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

1) First a simple question with b18 and Windows NT. Is it true you 
can't `mv' files between disks. Namely,

  mv //c/work.txt //a

generates an error. I can manually cp and rm the files, but not 
moving.

2) I used to work with Win95. After some time I realized that the 
`cp' command was broken! When I copied files files sized a few 10K, 
some parts of the destiny files had zero's inside. Also, `cmp' didn't 
complain. `xcopy' nor `copy' had these problems.
I think it is a rather severe bug. Also I would be very surprised if 
it has anything to do with my hardware, because Win95, WinNT and OS/2 
are running flawlessly. I 'fixed' the problem by leaving Win95 in 
favor for WinNT. Here the the fault does not occur.

3) I have CleanSweep installed. It looks like that running `ls' 
updates, or at least reads, the registry file. Something to do with 
mounts. I get a dialog by CleanSweep 'to monitor the setup'. Of 
course I just press the cancel button, but it is rather annoying to 
do so every time you type `ls'. Can't there be done something about 
it?

Besides this, great to have the GNU tools also on NT!

Mark Ruys

------- End of Forwarded Message

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".