Subject: Re: Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms
From: [email-masked] (Marcus G. Daniels)

9 Jul 1997 21:53:43 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked] (Gordon Irlam)
Original-Cc: [email-masked] (Per Abrahamsen), [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: [email-masked]'s message of Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.5/Emacs 20.0
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "GI" == Gordon Irlam <[email-masked]> writes:

GI> d) In addition, cygwin.dll essentially provides a Unix operating
GI> system emulation layer, and so it's use by a GPL'ed application is
GI> essentially no different than the use of any other operating
GI> system layer.  The fact that an O/S is not under the GPL does not
GI> prevent the O/S from being used by GPL'ed applications.

In the free software community, the question for contributors is
whether it makes sense to work on the cygwin32 Unix emulation code now
that it is no longer free software. When win32sup was GPLed,
that was easy to rationalize.

I'd suggest thinking very carefully about assigning copyright on
cygwin32 code to Cygnus.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".