Subject: Re: Trying to remake dlltool
From: [email-masked] (Jon Thackray)

9 Jul 1997 03:22:24 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
	<[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] writes:
 > >I am trying to rebuild dlltool and am running into problems. The
 > >reason I am trying to rebuild it is that it produces symbols with one
 > >too many _ characters at the start, and these break the link step.
 > 
 > This problem is almost certainly not in dlltool.

Do you have a suggestion as to where it might be? The scenario is, I
have a .lib file and some .obj files I wish to link against it. Using
link, this all proceeds correctly. Using nm to get the defined symbols
from the .lib file, and then using dlltool to build a .a from these,
then using ld, the link fails because the __imp symbols can't be
matched. Using nm on the .obj files and the .a file indicates that all
the __imp symbols match between one and the other, except that the
ones in the .a file have an extra _ at the start of each one.

 > >Anyway, there appear to be at least two programs which this process
 > >requires which are missing. One is bison, I've got round that by doing
 > >the bison step of the make on a unix machine.
 > 
 > The b18 release probably has byacc, which is a bison equivalent.

Fair enough, but I got around this anyway by using bison from a
Solaris machine to do the one step where it was required.

 > >The second is update,
 > >used by the configure program in cdk/libiberty. I can't find this
 > >program on any machine, so I have no idea what it's supposed to do.
 > >The command line in question says:-
 > 
 > >update alloca-normal.h alloca-conf.h
 > 
 > >Anyone have any idea either where to find this, or how to simulate
 > >what it's trying to do?
 > 
 > You should not be using configure.bat in cygwin32.  There is no
 > configure script for libiberty, there is only a configure.in script
 > which is used by the top level configure script.  Disregard
 > libiberty/README, as it is incorrect.  Always run configure from the
 > top level; it will automatically configure all the subdirectories,
 > including libiberty, bfd, and binutils.

I don't want all the tools, and I don't even have room to unpack the
entire set. Can I persuade configure to work only for the bits I need
(ie bfd, libiberty, dlltool).
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".