Subject: Re: GDB problem
From: "Bryan Rosenburg"<[email-masked]>

8 Jul 1997 08:15:51 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Lotus-FromDomain: IBM RESEARCH
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Geoffrey Noer writes:
> My main problem with the gdb in beta 18 is the crash on exit
> problem.  I hope it will be fixed in future releases...
and:
> My consistent problem is quitting the tcl/tk gdb (I believe the problem
> is actually in tcl/tk rather than in gdb).  That said, I find the b18 gdb
> to be fairly usable so you may not need to completely abandon using it
> because of this problem.

In my group, gdb is "fairly usable" on some machines but not on others, and
the problem seems to be independent of whether or not we use the tcl/tk
front end.  On four of our Windows-95 machines, a simple "gdb -nw" followed
by "quit" results in an "illegal operation" error but has no other ill
effects.  But on the fifth machine, the same sequence consistently results
in gdb hanging in an unkillable state and consuming 90% or more of the CPU.
Killing it manually using ctrl-alt-del gets it out of the Close Program
dialog, but the CPU is still saturated and wintop (from Microsoft's
Kernel Toys) shows GDB.EXE to still be consuming all the cycles it can get.
We've found no way to recover short of rebooting.

We're running b18 with Sergey's May26 patch.  (The patch has no effect on
this problem).  On two Windows-NT boxes with the same setup, gdb runs
without error.

This problem has become a serious obstacle for us.  Any suggestions, fixes,
or workarounds would be most welcome.

Bryan Rosenburg
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".