Subject: Re: Using MSVC++ 4.0 Command Line tools to compile in emacs
From: [email-masked] (Frederic Corne)

8 Jul 1997 00:33:19 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Frederic Corne <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by tm-edit 7.93)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: [email-masked]'s message of "Mon, 07 Jul 97 20:11:08 PST"
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.4.61/Emacs 19.34
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] writes:

>      Hi!
>      
>      I am using the Cygnus Win32 Emacs distribution and first of all, wish 
>      to thank everybody who put a bit of work into it with all my heart !
>      
>      Here at work it is almost mandatory to use MSVC++ for development, but 
>      after five years of working with gnu tools under Unix I just detest 
>      the idea. What I am trying to do is to keep the project structure only 
>      in teh MSVC environment, use it to generate a Makefile, and then use 
>      this Makefile to compile from within emacs using the command-line 
>      compiler etc.
>      
>      Now, I have tried to use the ProjectName.mak file as the makefile, but 
>      does not really seem to work - or at least nmake does not like being 
>      fed this file as a Makefile. What do I need to do ?

MSDEV use its internal nmake which differ from nmake.exe in some points. So
a makefile generated by MSDEV don't always works with nmake.exe ... (in
particular with c++)

>      I cannot create a 
>      custom Makefile from scratch because people insist in letting MSVC++ 
>      do all of parameter handling etc. They would not accept my manually 
>      edited makefile.

Show them that MSDEV store the letter of the drive in the project space,
thus a file  which is on a disk  on the network mounted as drive K: must
always be on drive K:  

It is stupid. 

cl.exe and nmake.exe accept network drive as \\host\foo\bar ... so there are
not problems with makefiles "hand-made".

FC

-- 

--- Frederic Corne --- ERLI --- [email-masked] ---

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".