Subject: Cygwin32 API
From: [email-masked] (Robert Styma)

2 Jul 1997 11:29:08 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Dear Sir or Madam,
   In the recent past I have downloaded the b18 version
of the GNU-Win32.  It installed and works as described
in the documentation and FAQ.  I kind of expected that as
tools from GNU are usually of superior quality to commercial
tools.  I have also installed the MI/X X server and it works.
I loaded the X libraries from the site at NASA,  I have gotten
their applications to compile and link, but they fail with
the cygwin.dll library you supply or the patched cygwin.dll
library they supply.  Actually, if I put their dll in the
current directory, every command, both yours and theirs goes
belly up.  But I will bother them about this in good time.
There seemed to be X11 references in your TCL files, but 
it appears that there is not enough there to link a straight
libX11.so type application.  Please say so, if I am wrong.

My question for you relates to the Cygwin32 api.  Both the FAQ
and the release notes talk about Cygwin32 api and the words
imply to me that you have developed API interfaces which would
allow me to do graphics calls to display things in the Windows 95
environment.  Is this true?  If so, is there a description of the
interfaces?

As background, I am a UNIX programmer who does a fair amount
of work with libX11.so type calls.  I am interested in moving
several applications to Windows 95 to make it easier to do
tele-working.  I know C quite well but am just getting my
feet wet in Windows 95.  

Thank you for any advice, information, or pointers.
Thank you also for your remarkably good programs.

-- 
-----------------------------
Robert E. Styma (AG Communication Systems, Phoenix)
    - Internet: [email-masked]
AG Communication Systems, Phoenix
(602) 582-7323
http://www.agcs.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".