Subject: Re: pwd and case
From: [email-masked] (Robert Mecklenburg)

2 Jul 1997 09:30:16 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <199707021307.JAA16820.cygnus.gnu-win32@phldev1>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> (message from Geoffrey
	Noer on Tue, 1 Jul 1997 14: 49:51 -0700 (PDT))
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]> said:
> 
> Robert Mecklenburg wrote:
>> 
>> We are attempting to port a complex build environment from Unix to NT
>> and have a problem with pwd.  When I execute pwd (through a maze or
>> emacs subshells, make, and bash) then case of the result is typically
>> not what I expect.  For instance, pwd returns "//d/Users/mecklen"
>> instead of "//D/Users/Mecklen".  Since I use sed and other text tools
>> to compute other directory values this causes problems.  So a couple
>> of questions:
>> 
>> Has anyone else seen this problem?
>> How does pwd compute the case of the current directory?
> 
> If I were you, I would mount D: to /d and then refer to paths using
> /d instead.  

Unfortunately we are using non-cygnus gnu tools which will not
recognize cygnus style mounts (I believe).  For instance, Microsoft's
C++ compiler and Hip Perl.  In fact, they don't understand "//D"
either, but that's part of what the seding is all about.  We can't use
"D:" type names exclusively since with gnu make a dependent with a
colon is a syntax error.

>	       Alternatively, use UNC paths.  

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought "//d/users/mecklen" _was_ a UNC
path (or more correctly "\\d\users\mecklen").  Am I wrong?  If this
isn't a unc path what is?  This doesn't solve my sed problem (that I
can see).

>					      (The double backslash
> shortcut may go away in the future).

Really?  So if I use cygnus gnu tools to reference files on different
drives I will have to mount all the drives?  If I then need to use
non-Cygnus tools (which don't understand Cygnus mount points) I have
to translate?  When do you think this might happen?

BTW, How does pwd compute the case of the current directory?

Thanks,
-- 
Robert Mecklenburg              Voice: 610-834-1010 x248
Parametric Technology Corp.     FAX:   610-834-7652
West Conshohocken, PA           Home:  215-413-4018 [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".