Subject: Re: dlopen() and friends?
From: [email-masked] (Jean-Philippe Chancelier)

2 Jul 1997 04:54:52 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]> (message from Peter Dalgaard
	BSA on 01 Jul 1997 11: 22:59 +0200)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Dalgaard BSA <[email-masked]> writes:

    Peter> The title almost says it all. For numerical and statistical
    Peter> computing, the ability to wire user C code into a running
    Peter> interpreter is the best thing since electricity. The
    Peter> functionality on UNIX system is in libdl.* and (usually)
    Peter> works by linking up a shared position-independent library
    Peter> and accessing it through dlopen(), dlsym(), etc. One would
    Peter> expect that similar functionality is possible through DLL's
    Peter> in win32, but has anyone actually tried this?

    Peter> -- O__ ---- Peter Dalgaard Blegdamsvej 3 c/ /'_ ---
    Peter> Dept. of Biostatistics 2200 Cph. N (*) \(*) -- University
    Peter> of Copenhagen Denmark Ph: (+45) 35327918 ~~~~~~~~~~ -
    Peter> ([email-masked]) FAX: (+45) 35327907 - For help
    Peter> on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a
    Peter> message to "[email-masked]" with one line of
    Peter> text: "help".

	Yes, dlls can be used, as shared libraries in the Unix world 
	dllopen is replaced by the function  LoadLibrary
	dllsym  ....			     GetProcAddress 
	etc....

	The main difficulty is to produce a relocatable dll 
	with gnuwin32, since it seams not to be totally stable.
	examples where given in this mailing list in the past 
	This functionality is also used in the Scilab win32 version 
	( ftp.inria.fr /INRIA/Scilab ) 
	and an example is given in scilab source : scilab-2.3/Win95-util
	
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".