Subject: Updated X11R6.3 libraries
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

29 Jun 1997 08:30:22 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Original-To: GNU Win32 <[email-masked]>
Content-Disposition: inline
X-MIME-Autoconverted: from quoted-printable to 8bit by cygnus.com id HAA00139
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

  I had sent this message on June 6th, but it never made t the list.
............................................................................
................................................

I just updated the binary X11R6.3 libraries and clients on:

         ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3

What is new besides b18 compilation:

  - a few more clients
  - more examples
  - full static libraries in addition to DLLs
  - html (barely) documentation of libraries/clients
  - Sergey's Okhapkin patches of cygwin.dll/libcygwin.a
    for win95 folks (it will not run without it)

The README file is below. Please let me know of problems.

  Arlindo da Silva
  [email-masked]

............................................................................
.............................

                GNU Win32 X11R6.3 Binary Libraries

                  Compiled with Cygwin32 Beta 18
                
                    Last Update: June 6, 1997

   This directory contains the X Windows Version 11 Release 6.3 compiled
with the Cygnus GNU Win32 C compiler version Beta 18.  This X11R6.3 port
is based on the work of Sergey Okhapkin ([email-masked]), I just
got Sergey's patch, hacked it a little and compiled some of the
libraries and clients (the DLLs come directly from Sergey Okhapkin).
You must have Windows 95 or Windows NT to use this software.  It will
not run on Windows 3.x. For additional information about the GNU Win32
compiler, please consult:

             http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32/

Check also the GNU Win32 mail archives at:

             http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/

AVAILABILITY:

  The pre-compiled Win32 X11R6.3 libraries can be obtained from:

  ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3/Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz

INSTALLATION:

  I recommend that you install these files on /usr/X11R6.3. So, from
the COMMAND.COM prompt:

  cd \
  mkdir usr                                      (if don't already have
it)
  cd \usr
  (put the file "Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz" in here)
  tar xvfz Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz
  del Win32_X11R6_3.tar.gz                        (if all went well)

I am assuming you have the GNU tool "tar" which comes with the Cygnus
Win32
compiler (notice that the gunzip is automaticatly performed by the GNU
tar). See the Cygnus URL above for details.  If you use another version
of
tar, make sure you gunzip the file first and that your tar respects
Windows 95/NT long file names; this is essential. (DJGPP's tarx will NOT
work!!!)

Next, add /usr/X11R6.3/bin to your path. That should do it. There are
sample clients in /usr/X11R6.3/examples:

   tetris      the classic game, uses only libX11.a (no toolkits)
   bezier      bezier drawing program
   xmore       file browser
   libsx       the "Simple X" library by Dominic Giamapolo,
               with many examples

STATIC vs DYNAMIC LINKED LIBRARIES:

  Static versions of the X libraries can be found at 

              /usr/X11R6.3/lib/static

If you want to link with the static (not DLL) X libraries make sure
this directory is first in your link path, e.g.,

gcc -o myclient myclient.o -L/usr/X11R6.3/lib/static -L/usr/X11R6.3/lib
\
                           -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 

WINDOWS 95 USERS:

   In order to run clients compiled with these libraries you will
need the "cygwin.dll" and "libcygwin.a" patched by Sergey Okhapkin.
These files can be found in "/usr/X11R6.3/b18-patch"; be sure to
read the README file before installing these patched libraries.

X SERVER:

And of course, you will need X Windows server software. A freeware X
server can be obtained from MicroImages:

     http://tnt.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix.htm

This server is somewhat limited as it does not fully support the Athena
widgets (menu items when selected become invisible!).  There is a fully
functional demo (2 hour limit) from Startnet which is somehwat nicer:

     http://www.starnet.com/xwin32.html

For a comprehensive list of other commercially available X servers
consult Kenton Lee's page:

    http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xsites.html

ADDITIONAL CLIENTS:

   There is a minimum set of clients with this distribution. For
additional clients please take a look at:

   ftp://microlib.cc.utexas.edu/microlib/nt/x11r6

DIRECTORY STRUCTURE:

     /usr/X11R6.3/bin          X clients, dynamic linked libraries
                               (libX11.dll, etc.)
     /usr/X11R6.3/lib          X11R6.3 libraries, including the Simple X
                               library (libsx.a) and the 3D Athena
                               Widgets (libXaw3D.a)
     /usr/X11R6.3/include      X11R6.3 header files
     /usr/X11R6.3/examples     sample clients to test your installation
     /usr/X11R6.3/doc          HTML man pages. With your browser of
                               choice open the file "index.html".
     /usr/X11R6.3/b18-patch    Patched libraries for Win95 users.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:

Notice that I DO NOT provide support for this software, but if
you have questions you may try to contact me at:

     Arlindo da Silva 
     Data Assimilation Office
     NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
     [email-masked]

                        --- // ---
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".