Subject: Re: Basic porting question
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

27 Jun 1997 18:40:48 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: "Sven N. Thommesen" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Sven N. Thommesen wrote:

> At 11:13 PM 6/25/97 -0500, Mumit Khan wrote:
> >
> >Tcl/tk/blt etc does not build under gnu-win32. What is supplied are the
> >stubs to load the Tcl and Tk DLLs built with Borland (also MSVC++?).
> >
> 
> Well, to be dogged (and dense?) about it, assuming I'm cross-compiling
> under Linux for a win32 target, which of the current linux libraries may
> continue to be used, what parts are replaced by gnu-win32, and what parts
> must be rebuilt under windows to make things work: btl, tk, tcl, libtclobjc
> [glue between objective-c and tcl] and X ?
> 

The only linux libraries that you can continue to use are the ones that
are linked to the development tools (gcc et all) or dynamically loaded
by the dev tools. For the target executables (ie., your code) CANNOT use
linux libs, but has to link to target libraries. To answer you question,
all of the above.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you modify your tcl/tk objc code to
use Tcl (de)allocation routines instead of malloc/new/free/delete, your
code will work just fine. (Caveat: this is just a hunch, since most of
the problem seems to due to incompatibility in the memory handling btwn
gnu-win32 and Borland run-time).

> 
> -Sven
> 

regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

Cc: Sven N. Thommesen

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".