Subject: PC X server visuals
From: [email-masked] (Andreas Bischoff)

27 Jun 1997 12:57:31 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
X-Sun-Charset: US-ASCII
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi all,

not a directly gnuwin32 question but since the members
of this list are very always very helpful:

We've ported already a couple of programs to NT using
Sergey's libX11.a

I'm having trouble finding a good X server.

Some of the server I've tried, don't display the colors right.

As I understand it so far, the following happens:

I'm running a Matrox Millenium in 24bit mode.

The X servers I tried so far seem to have trouble providing
different visuals in this environment:

- demo from DEC:  only 256bit PseudoColor
- Reflection from WRQ:  only 24 bit TrueColor
- Netmanage (packaged with OpenNT): only 24bit TrueColor
- XWin32: PseudoColor and TrueColor, but slow and no backing store

Some of the programs seem to expect a PseudoColor visual and
since they don't find one, fall back to blach&white mode.

In one product was a hint to switch the graphic card to 256color
mode, but I hate this idea. It's such a nice fast card and
would be a waste of resources.

So finally my question:
Since I haven't gotten yet my hand on all available X servers,
could somebody tell me if there are any which provide under 
24bit WindozeNT graphic mode all the standard visuals:
or, at least 256color PseudoColor AND 24bit TrueColor and are
fast and configurable ?

Regards,

		Andreas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andreas Bischoff 				Phone: 	415 390 0166
Integrated Systems Engineering, Inc. 		FAX:   	415 390 0168
Mountain Bay Plaza 				e-mail: [email-masked]
444 Castro Street, Suite 817			WWW:  	http://www.ise.com
Mountain View, CA 94041-9909
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".