Subject: Don't kill me!
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Solomon)

25 Jun 1997 16:00:22 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi all,

I have searched through this mailing list (all 6MB that I could
find) and I couldn't find quite the answer I was looking for.

I just downloaded b18 and I was hoping to easily compile my
socket code that I have successfully compiled under both Solaris
and IRIX. To my surprise the calls to socket, send, recv, connect
etc actually worked! The calls to gethostbyaddr and
gethostbyname, however, failed to resolve with the error:

couldn't find cygnus32_gethostby...

I know that these get* funcs and others are mapped to the
cygnus32 names for good reasons. I just think I'm invoking the
compiler incorrectly. Under Solaris, the gcc command line ended
in: -lsocket -lnsl. Do I need to add a similar option for
gnuwin32? What about specifying the library path?

Also, I want to use the regular expression library functions like
I successfully use in the Solaris version of this code. I include
<regex.h> which does exist, but all that file does is include
<rx.h> which doesn't exist. What gives? How do you use regular
expressions with gnuwin32? Should I download the gnu regex
package and just build it or is it already shipped?

Finally, here is my newbie question of the day: 

What is the difference between a .dll and a .a file? What happens
when I compile a simple C program.  Is this linked with libc.a?
libcgywin.a? cgywin.dll? Can I move the resulting .exe file to
another x86 box that doesn't have gnuwin installed and just run
it? If not, is there a way to statically link so I can? Somebody
please put me out of my misery!

thanks in advance,

Jeff

-- 
***********************************************************************
Jeff Solomon                       Tel:   (415) 725-3701
Computer Systems Lab               Email: [email-masked]
Stanford University                Tel for Summer 97: (415) 933-4382
***********************************************************************
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".