Subject: Re: Motif for NT available ?
From: [email-masked] (Arlindo da Silva)

23 Jun 1997 19:40:21 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Andreas Bischoff)
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Andreas Bischoff" at Jun 23, 97 12:08:58 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL21]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Andreas,

> 
> one of the programs we're porting to NT using cygwin32 requires
> Motif.
> Is there any Motif implementation available which will work together
> with cygwin32 ?
> 

I was able to compile lesstif, the GNU version of lesstif, almost
out of the tar file. I was able to create a static library (libXm.a)
and run a few tests and it seemed to work allright. I tried to make
a DLL out of it, following the instructions at:

   http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh/gnu-win32/how-to-build-dlls.html

without much luck; may be someone with a little bit more understanding
about DLLs could get it to work. (You absolutely need a DLL, the
static library is approx. 13 megs, "Hello, World" runs about 2.5
megs!).  From the top of my head, here is what you need to do in order
to build lesstif:

1) Get the X11R6.3 binaries and install them 
   ftp://niteroi.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/win32/X11R6.3

2) Get the lesstif sources from
   http://www.lesstif.org/

3) Make the following adaptations:

   - ln -s /usr/X11R6.3 /usr/X11R6
   - change the configure script so that it does not have
     gcc -pipe, i.e., get rid of the -pipe
   - sh configure, then make -i ... it will run for hours!

   Some of the clients will break for some silly reason, if you
need them, fix the makefile manually.

   Good Luck and please let me know if you get a libXm.dll.

      Arlindo.

-- 

   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*
   |                                                                 |
   |             ^|^                     ARLINDO DA SILVA            |
   |              |                     212 Lexington Drive          |
   |             _|_                  Silver Spring, MD 20901        |
   |      @  ___|___|__                                              |
   |     _|_|__________|_______/    mailto://[email-masked]    |
   |    \  o o o o o o o  /                                          |
   |     \_______________/            Home: (301) 754-1121           |
   |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         FAX: (301) 805-7959           |
   |                                                                 |
   *-----------------------------------------------------------------*

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".