Subject: Re: You can't stop progress
From: [email-masked] (Paul Shirley)

23 Jun 1997 13:41:07 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Turnpike Version 3.03 <XvxOq6RVjuMF4FZcD8CYlzCnSO>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

In message <[email-masked]>, Ian
<[email-masked]> writes
>At 08:51 AM 6/23/97 +0200, "root" shaped the electrons thusly:
>[snip[
>>64MB of RAM just to run an autoconf+some make. This is new to me.
>>I didn't expect to see a message like this in 1997, only in 1999 2000.
>>A program REQUIRING 64MB of RAM!!!!
>[snip]
>
>I haven't had any memory-related problems with 16MB or 24MB and
>w95; configure and make have always run slowly, but they run (well,
>they did until last week -- configure scripts now cause my machine
>to crash, but I'm working on that :)

gcc really likes having >32Meg of ram and has done for as long as I can
remember *on the PC*, I was shocked at the obvious difference moving
from 40 Meg of 70ns ram to 32 Meg of 60ns ram made... it slowed djgpp
down noticeably. gcc is extremely resource greedy, on Unix this hardly
matters but Windoze seems to have serious problems coping with it.

-- 
Paul Shirley
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".