Subject: Re: McAfee VirusScan
From: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod)

20 Jun 1997 08:10:28 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (James Paul Morgan)
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "James Paul Morgan" at Jun 19, 97 11:33:51 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Actually, aren't the so-called "macro viruses" not really viruses at all?
> It's not an executable that infects your system or you boot sector or
> whatever, it's just a macro that is automatically run when you load MS
> Word and can only manipulate within the confines of Word?  Sound more
> like a bug in MS Word than a virus, which means your statement doesn't
> counter the statement that there are no Windows NT viruses.

The virus can copy itself from file to file and destroy data -- that 
sounds like a virus to me. It isn't an OS virus, but a "Word Virus". It 
lives in Word, propogates through word and destroys Word data (though it
could in fact destroy any data on the computer).

 Paul Prescod

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".