Subject: Re: McAfee VirusScan
From: [email-masked] ("Daniel Berlin")

19 Jun 1997 14:10:31 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <19970619192339.AAA181.cygnus.gnu-win32@danielbe>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "Tom Greer" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 4.71.0904.0
X-MimeOle: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE Engine V4.71.0904.0
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

i said other than macro viruses.
Yup, never been hit with concept, but when i was writing a book for
SAMS.Net a year ago (I just turned 18 in june, it was a summer thing. Lead
author on a book on CGI programming) , the default author template was
infected with concept.  

----
From: Tom Greer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: Daniel Berlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: McAfee VirusScan

>Daniel Berlin wrote:
>
>> Well, not to make you feel bad, but A hobby of mine is Virus Research,
and
>> I won't go into how badly mcaffee and others cheat the public  (the
whole
>> industry is basically a scam. They lie, but nobody who doesn't work for
>> them knows enough to figure it out, or they only know what they've been
>> told by virus scanning software companies.), but there are no known
viruses
>> that can infect windows nt computers.
>> That's right.
>
>I beg to differ: I had McAfee installed on the system in order to
>eradicate my network of the Word macro virus "CONCEPT".  A customer had
>given it to us on a floppy containing a Word document they wanted us to
>use as artwork for their laser print job.  It is a very annoying virus
>if your a heavy Word user: it forces Word to always save things as
>templates, even if you change the type in Save As to a document.
>
>I cleaned over 400 Word documents on my network with it over a two day
>period, including local Word documents on my NT computer.
>
>However, now that the virus is purged, I don't feel a need to keep it
>around any more.
>
>+------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
>| Tom Greer                          |                                |
>| Systems Administrator              |                                |
>| Automatic Funds Transfer Services  |     URL: http://www.afts.com/  |
>| Seattle, WA                        |                                |
>+------------------------------------+--------------------------------+ 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".