Subject: Re: McAfee VirusScan
From: [email-masked] (Tom Greer)

19 Jun 1997 13:41:14 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <19970619041505.AAA23862@danielbe>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0 [en] (WinNT; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: Daniel Berlin <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Daniel Berlin wrote:

> Well, not to make you feel bad, but A hobby of mine is Virus Research, and
> I won't go into how badly mcaffee and others cheat the public  (the whole
> industry is basically a scam. They lie, but nobody who doesn't work for
> them knows enough to figure it out, or they only know what they've been
> told by virus scanning software companies.), but there are no known viruses
> that can infect windows nt computers.
> That's right.

I beg to differ: I had McAfee installed on the system in order to
eradicate my network of the Word macro virus "CONCEPT".  A customer had
given it to us on a floppy containing a Word document they wanted us to
use as artwork for their laser print job.  It is a very annoying virus
if your a heavy Word user: it forces Word to always save things as
templates, even if you change the type in Save As to a document.

I cleaned over 400 Word documents on my network with it over a two day
period, including local Word documents on my NT computer.

However, now that the virus is purged, I don't feel a need to keep it
around any more.

+------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| Tom Greer                          |                                |
| Systems Administrator              |                                |
| Automatic Funds Transfer Services  |     URL: http://www.afts.com/  |
| Seattle, WA                        |                                |
+------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".