Subject: Static linking
From: [email-masked] (John Cooper)

18 Jun 1997 10:05:11 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Mailer: Virtual Access by Ashmount Research Ltd, http://www.ashmount.com
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I have ported a program to Cygnus, now I am moving to Colin Peters' Minimalist 
GNU-Win32 stuff because I don't want to have to deliver more than the .EXE to 
my client. My problem is that I was using gettimeofday which I have now tracked 
down to libwinserve.a in .../mingw32/win32/lib, but when I build with 
gcc ... -Wl,-Bstatic,-lwinserve,-Bdynamic ... the linker is satisfied, but the 
routine isn't pulled into the executable and I get a DLL not found error for 
WINSERVE.DLL (which doesn't exist, as far as I can make out the routine I want 
is actually in the archive). 

I have obviously got the wrong end of the stick vis-a-vis what -Bstatic 
actually does, can anyone put me right?
-- 
John Cooper (JPSC Ltd, UK)

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".