Subject: binary sockets??
From: [email-masked] (Damon Poole)

18 Jun 1997 09:06:28 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hi,

I'm attempting to port a socket based application from Unix to NT using
gnu-win32. Almost everything ported without a problem. However, I've run into
two problems. The first was the text/binary file problem, solved with liberal
doses of fopen ( f, "wb") and the like.

The second problem is a bit trickier. It seems to be the same sort of problem,
but with sockets. Is there any way to create a binary-mode socket? Is there
in fact even a problem with ^Z on sockets or should I look for another culprit?

The application creates a thin layer on top of sockets for sending information
and files back and forth. As long as I use empty files, everything works. So,
I don't have any connection problems or anything like that. It is just that
some files are getting extra characters added to the end of them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd especially like to hear from
anybody that has sent binary files back and forth using sockets.

Thanks!

Damon

P.S. - a pointer to a gnuwin32 port of a socket based app would be super!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".