Subject: exported variables from dll ...
From: [email-masked] ("Philippe GIACINTI")

18 Jun 1997 02:05:52 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Face: ^cJc2\tiS@#Ja@7laz+N]T)kL{-Kay)Oz"?}p[wuY#}}dO"enP!QVO{,}&4P2V[hEfJD]9&
             E1ou~|tY/|9d&7c,7yf>7n: Zj8FD(LtPXWHzy^OJIDi/~O~R]3x/5}"7P;|,*%f:3Z!>h8Ff/&)g?/
             }$RXQ
X-Mailer: Z-Mail (3.2.3 08feb96 MediaMail)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Dear Colin,

Thank you for your help, your workaround works fine and I can continue my
porting ...

* Anyway I have some general remarks :

	- I had problems only with exported variables from cygwin.dll ( stdout,
stdin through _impure_ptr, ... ). I my point of view exporting a variable from
a dll ( or from a shared library on Unix ) is really a bad thing which must be
replaced by a call to a function ( or C++ method ) which returns the variable.
So the problem is solved for my code ( may be not for inline methods ... ), and
I will try to modify includes files which define _impure_ptr ...

	- May be, it could be cool to modify the linker the following way :
If the linker doesn't find the symbol "foo", it try to resolve it with
__imp_foo
so dlltool doesn't have to generate dummy functions and it will work for
variables ...
It's just an idea, I don't know how the linker works and what it implies in
term of work.

* and I have always some troubles :

	- I tried to use a dll generated with Cygwin32 directly in Visual C++,
but I had a problem with ( probaly ) the initialization of cygwin.dll.
Because my application is linked by VC++ the crt0 init code is not called, and
the global variable "u" which represent the current process is not initialized.

Question : is it possible to let the cygwin.dll initalize itself ?

	- I have a problem with generated C++ code beetween Cygwin32 and VC++
because decorations are different.

Question: is it possible to have the same C++ decoration as VC++ in g++ ?

Thanks for your help

-- 

 ==========================================================================
|                         Philippe GIACINTI                                |
|                                                                          |
| DALiM GmbH R&D                                email:  [email-masked]      |
| Daimler Strasse 2,                            tel:    +49.7851.9196-28   |
| D-77694 Kehl-Sundheim Germany                 fax:    +49.7851.73576	   |
|                                                                          |
 ==========================================================================
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".