Subject: Re: rename() in B18..
From: [email-masked] (Keet)

14 Jun 1997 09:40:04 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (32)
X-Priority: 1 (Highest)
Original-To: Michael Hirmke <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>
>You try to unlink open files !
>

Under UNIX, it's perfectly legal to unlink a file BEFORE it is closed,
because UNIX only deletes the filename, and not the inode. This is one of
the incompatibility problems between UNIX and Windows. Under a FAT based
system you can't unlink a file because the filename IS the file. What I
suspect, is that for the sake of compatibility Cygwin is silently failing
when attempting to unlink an open file, and is thus never deleted. It seems
that there is a large problem in that area. Under UNIX there are a large
number of programs that really do rely on the ability to unlink() a file
before it is closed. Any more ideas on the matter? (other than loosing some
UNIX compatibility and having to rewrite the source that does not close a
file before it is unlinked? which is, perfectly legal in UNIX).

- Greg Neujahr
  Foxbird / Keet
  [email-masked]

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".