Subject: Re: How to use tar with a DAT-Tape (b18)
From: [email-masked] (Robert Matzinger)

14 Jun 1997 02:33:43 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <3.0.1.32.19970614084958.006a46f4.cygnus.gnu-win32@localhost>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: matzi#mahler.kr.tuwien.ac.at@localhost
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 06:57 13-06-97 +0200, you wrote:
>Sirs,
>
>we got a brand-new P6 with Windows NT and a DAT-Tape (HP 1599 / 1533). Now
>I want to read tapes which I saved under Solaris and vice versa.
>How to name the device and how to save files on this device?
>There is no /dev but I think, there is a workaround.
>

I don't know a solution within the Cygnus routines. However I have a 
a 32-bit tar version that works with SCSI tapes. 
At least it works under Win95. You can run it in a DOS-box or on a 
(cygnus) bash-prompt as you like.
You have to set the SCSI-ID of the tape as a DOS Variable in Win95. There
should be a similar mechanism under WinNT.

I frequently exchange data with a Sun running Solaris via the DAT-drive,
there is no problem. Just very seldom on very large backups (>1.5GB) the
"taring" sometimes becomes unstable. But I suppose this is rather a hardware
(or SCSI-driver) problem on my particular machine. 

I know of two versions of this "Gnu Tar with ASPI patch" as it is commonly
called. One I found at a strange Japanese ftp-space, which I never could 
access again after that. The other lies around somewhere at Uni Koeln. 

As they were so hard to find, I made them available at my own 
public ftp-space at 
   ftp://ftp.kr.tuwien.ac.at/pub/matzinger/win95tar
I hope I do not violate any copyright restrictions. There's a README in this 
directory, which you should read. 

However if there is a better solution (e.g. within the CyGnus routines) 
I would be very interested to learn about that.

Hope this is of help. Happy taring.

    Triholareidulioe
        Robert Matzinger

                                                      \|/
+------------------------------------+----------uuuu-Q Q-uuuu------------+
| D.I. Robert Matzinger              |                U                  |
| Technische Universitaet Wien       | phone : +43 1 58801/81 96         |
| Inst. f. Informationssysteme       | fax :   +43 1 581 79 66           |
| Abt. f. Wissensbasierte System     | mailto:[email-masked]      |
| Treitlstr. 3, A-1040 Vienna,AUSTRIA| http://www.kr.tuwien.ac.at/~matzi |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".