Subject: make -j 2 doesn't parallelize on version 18.0 on NT 4 2 CPU PPro system
From: [email-masked] (David Story)

13 Jun 1997 19:23:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01SC-SGI (X11; I; IRIX64 6.2 IP28)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I recently added a second PPro 200 CPU to my NT 4.0 Dell GxPro system,
and tried to use "make -j 2" to parallelize the build.  We regularly do
this on our SGI systems using "smake" and it works wonderfully!

However, on NT 4.0, using bash as my shell, I get no parallelism -- at
least not in conjunction with recursive make files.  (I can get
parallelism at the leaf directories if I go directly there and build
only one level at a time.)

I read four months worth of back e-mail on the Cygnus site, looked at
the release notes for 18.0, and read the manuals a couple times.

Has anyone successfully used make to do recursive builds with controlled
parallelism at each level?  I tried "make -j -l 2.5" just to see if I
could get recursive parallelism that way....no joy.

If this doesn't work, I suppose I could change the defines in each leaf
Makefile to define -j 2 at leaf directories, but surely there's a true
parallel make in the works?
-- 
David Story, [email-masked]         Info on VRML:  http://vrml.sgi.com
Cosmo VRML Engineering, SGI        Info on Cosmo: http://cosmo.sgi.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".