Subject: Re: Info on libraries?
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

12 Jun 1997 09:48:03 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "[email-masked]" at Jun 11, 97 10:06:14 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
[...]
> The only problem is that I haven't had experience writing for MS 
> Windows and I can't find any information on the Windows libraries.  
> I've looked through the list archives and generally searched around 
> without any success, and as I haven't downloaded the source code I 
> wonder if someone could point me to some info on libkernel32, 
> libuser32, libole32, etc. I'd be very grateful.

I would suggest purchasing a good Win32 API book.  I've been quite
happy with:

1) _Win32_Programming_ by Brent Rector and Joseph Newcomer.  Published
by Addison-Wesley.  A big hardback with lots of pages.  A good general
reference that contains information not available elsewhere.

2) _Advanced_Windows_ by Jeffrey Richter.  Published by Microsoft Press.
Unlike the previous book, you will want to read whole chapters at a time.
Each chapter is a detailed overview of each piece of the Win32 API,
covering everything from kernel objects to process management, threads,
dlls, exception handling and the like.

And I'm sure there are lots of others worth looking at...

Having a subscription to the Microsoft Developer's Network (MSDN)
is pretty useful.  The library CDs have the canonical docs on the Win32
API, archived journal articles pertaining to Windows programming,
and a whole lot more.  There are different subscription levels that
get you different things at a range of prices.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".