Subject: Compiling GCC 2.7.2.1/Objective-C on 95
From: [email-masked] ("Giesler, Bjoern")

11 Jun 1997 18:06:09 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=Helpmate_Robotic%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.837.3
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello everybody,

allow me to introduce myself. I am new to the list, and my name is
Bjoern Giesler. I am a student of Computer Science, currently working on
my master's thesis on autonomous robot navigation/map building.

First of all, great compliments and thanks to the GNU/Cygnus folks!
Using their tools, Windows programming isn't such a pain anymore. I've
managed to compile bison, termcap and less (almost) out of the box. 

However, to compile the software I'm writing for my thesis, I need an
Objective-C compiler (and the GNUstep base library). I haven't managed
to successfully install the GNUstep/MediaBook developer CD, and since I
haven't received an answer from their customer support, I've decided to
recompile GCC myself (version 2.7.2.1, with the patch that comes with
gnustep-base). However, I don't seem to be able to get it right. Here
are my problems:

First of all, GCC's configure can't determine the correct host type.
There is no system type cygwin32, so I configure with
--host=i586-winnt3.5. My system is Windows95, however. Still, since
they're compatible, this should be OK, right?

Next (and this is where I'm really stuck): I'm making with 'make
bootstrap LANGUAGES="c c++ objective-c" BOOT_CFLAGS="-g -O2"'. This
seems to work OK (after a bit of tweaking, such as #defining
_STRICT_ANSI in string.h) until the first xgcc.exe is made (dir stage1/
doesn't exist yet). The trouble starts when it tries to compile the
first files with xgcc (e.g. enquire.c), since it can't find any include
files! If I interpret that right, it means something is wrong with the
configuration. Only what?

Anyone have any ideas (or compiled the thing yourself and put up a
binary somewhere :)) ?

Regards,
		Bjoern

PS To make my system more unixy, I've mounted a few things in "standard"
places:

/$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\i386-cygwin32 /usr                native  
   no-mixed,text!=binary
\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\etc /etc                native     
no-mixed,text!=binary
C:               /dosc               native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\e              /cdrom              native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\bin /bin                native     
no-mixed,text!=binary
d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary
/$ _

So the /usr/include/* stuff is all in place. It really _should_ find
that.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".