Subject: Re: More VERY basic questions.
From: [email-masked] (Paul Kinnucan)

11 Jun 1997 13:32:34 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 3.0 (32)
Original-To: "Paul A. Thompson" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 12:06 PM 6/10/97 -0400, Paul A. Thompson wrote:
>Here are a couple of more very basic questions. 
>
>What I do is run Win95 to run emacs, TeX and a few other things, like SAS.
>I don't really do c++ programming very often.  What I would like is a
>complete set of Unix tools which run under Win95; that is, grep, awk, sed,
>tar, gzip and so forth on a DOS window, or even under a short-cut.  
>
>1) Is gnuwin and the cygnus tools the right direction?
>

Yes, if your needs are anything like mine.

I use Emacs on Win95 as a Java development environment. I use the gnuwin
version of bash as my command shell. I have written a bash shell script that
uses find and xargs to recursively tag a hierarchy of Java source files. This
script works perfectly under Win95, using the gnuwin versions of find and
xargs. I have also written and use a script based on the gnuwin version of
gawk on Win95. I am very pleased with gnuwin and am grateful to cygnus for
making it available.

- Paul
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".