Subject: More VERY basic questions.
From: [email-masked] ("Paul A. Thompson")

10 Jun 1997 22:30:14 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.1 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Here are a couple of more very basic questions. 

What I do is run Win95 to run emacs, TeX and a few other things, like SAS.
I don't really do c++ programming very often.  What I would like is a
complete set of Unix tools which run under Win95; that is, grep, awk, sed,
tar, gzip and so forth on a DOS window, or even under a short-cut.  

1) Is gnuwin and the cygnus tools the right direction?

2) Can I run these under Win95?  Under bash in Win95?  Often I see that
many refer to Linux or other Unix ports.  I don't really want to install
another operating system, but may if necessary.

I have looked at the FAQ, but it does not really address my questions.  Is
there a FAQ for complete ignorami such 
as myself?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".