Subject: Re: Some VERY basic questions.
From: [email-masked] (Paul Prescod)

10 Jun 1997 19:49:48 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0b4 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

jfmiller wrote:
> 1) I want to write original win32 programs and I'm not nessacely
> intrested in porting anything. Do I need all of the cdk.exe stuff? and
> could someone explain what is in all the (important) directories.

http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html

"The Minimalist GNU Win32 Package (or Mingw32) is a set of files which
make it possible to compile completely native programs on Win32 using
GNU-Win32. You lose the UNIX emulation layer, but your programs are much
smaller and easier to distribute (and somewhat faster I believe). You
can also cut down considerably on the disk space used up by the Cygwin32
support files."
 
> 2) What is BASH?  how and why do I use it?  I have used unix (AIX) on
> CalPoly's server but I'm not real fimiliar with it.

Bash is a command line. Type "sh" to use it.
 
> 3) I'm am new to windows programming. (I'm sure that this fact is
> blatintly clear by now)  Are there any books (or even better internet
> sourses) that would explain at least some of the basics?  Most of the
> books I have found are writen assuming one has either MSVC or BC.  will
> any of these work?

Most of these will probably presume MFC or OWL. You might need an older
book that talks about the Windows API. There are still some API books
around:

http://www.davison.net/cgi-bin/vlink/0131214845
http://www.r2m.com/win-developer-FAQ/

> 4) I followed the directions in the FAQ on how to install Cygnus32
> however dos gives me the message "Out of envrioment space"  are there
> any remidies for this. (I've gotten the impression that bash may hold
> the solution to this problem but as I said some of the un*x lingo is a
> bit over my head)

config.sys:

shell=c:\command.com /p /e:1024
 
 Paul Prescod
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".