Subject: Re: Sergey's cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Fabio Somenzi)

6 Jun 1997 23:05:25 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: VM 6.29 under Emacs 19.33.1
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

>>>>> "LH" == Larry Hall <[email-masked]> writes:

 LH> ... why is there more than
 LH> one copy of cygwin.dll??  I checked my cygnus install root and
 LH> found I had 2 copies myself, one in bin (which was Sergey's) and
 LH> one in i386-cygwin32/lib which was the original.  Why the two
 LH> places?  Can I get rid of one??  I certainly don't like having 2
 LH> around for a variety of reasons and, although I haven't checked
 LH> it, I don't think I can remedy the space consideration by using
 LH> symlinks as Arlindo suggests since symlinks are apparently not
 LH> followed correctly for executables.  At least, that's what I see.

My guess is that one is for linking and the other is for running.
By keeping two copies the linker only looks in one place, and this
place needs not be in $PATH.

Anyway, lest I sound like an expert, I'll immediately proceed to admit
that Arlindo Da Silva's message was an ey-opener for me too.  I had
replaced the cygwin.dll in the lib directory, but not the one in the
bin directory.

When I replaced both, though, I got an unpleasant setback in my
attempts at building perl 5.004.  At some point a call to
"wait_for_many" (or some similar name) failed, and from that point on
the speed of execution degraded enormously up to a point when no
progress was apparently made.  The CPU was idle most of the time. It
looked like some process was just waiting for some timeout.  When I
tried to kill make I ended up with a frozen system and I had to
reboot.

Fabio

-- 
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758
ECE Dept.              | Email: [email-masked]
Boulder CO 80309-0425  | WWW:   http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~fabio
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".