Subject: ncurses problem (2nd time)
From: [email-masked] (Marc Mandel)

6 Jun 1997 21:55:58 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <Pine.SOL.3.94.970606162905.10040B-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@sundance>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: mmandel@sundance
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

[I sent this message Friday morning, but have reason to think that it
wasn't sent to the list because of a 'small' power problem on campus.
Therefore, I am sending it a second time.  I apologize if I am mistaken.
 --marc]

Hello all,

I have seen a number of posts concerning compiling ncurses.  Some 
said they had problems, some said it 'compiled out-of-the-box.  I 
have tried both ncurses 1.9.9g and ncurses 4.1.  The results have 
seemed to have been the same.  The following information is from 
an attempt to compile 1.9.9g.

I placed the source in /ncurses and compiled the 
package(./configure, make, make install).  'make install' results in 
the following:

/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install -c -m 644
.../lib/libncurses_g.a /usr/ ocal/lib/libncurses_g.a ranlib
/usr/local/lib/libncurses_g.a cd progs; make  INSTALL_PREFIX=""
install /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install -c tic    
/usr/local/bin/tic /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/install: tic: No
such file or directory make: *** [install.progs] Error 1 make: ***
[install] Error 2 [/ncurses]$

The test programs (ncurses, blue, firework) located in 
/ncurses/test all seem to have the same result:

[test]$ blue
Error opening terminal: linux.
[test]$

clear.exe located in \ncurses\progs results in following:
'linux': unknown terminal type.
[progs]$

Here are some hopefully useful facts:

1.) mount returns the following:
[/]$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
f:               /                   native      no-mixed,text=binary
[/]$

2.) I am using NT 4.0 w/ SP2 on a 486/100 with 40M RAM and b18.

3.) I used Winzip to extract ncurses and I did turn off smart CR/LF
conversion.

4.) Both 'env' and 'set' commands return the following (relevent 
information) in a bash shell:
TERM=linux 

5.) I think it was Eric Hilton who posted the following sample code:

(from Eric's post:)
#include <stdio.h>
int
main()
{
 printf("\033[2J");
}

>> Compile and run it, if it clears the screen your term has the 
>> properties of a proper terminal.

This program _does_ clear the screen in both bash and cmd shells.

6.)  I recall a post from Sergey (I think) where in a reply to some 
he asked if /etc/termcap was correct.  While this was probably very 
clear to most of you, it wasn't to me. I did not have an 'etc' 
directory immediately below '/,' so I created it and copied termcap 
from 'gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32\etc\termcap.'  I'm not sure if 
this was correct or not...

7.) I have used b18 to compile a number of small C++ programs that I have
written, so I am confident that b18 is installed properly.  What I think
is happening is that the rest of my system isn't configured the way
ncurses expects.  But this is only my guess...

One more note:  While I don't think that I'm stupid, please be 
careful with assumptions.  I have used NT for a couple of years.  I 
have also played with linux also for a couple of years and I am a 
computer science student.  I am not _totally_ ignorant, but I am not 
that experienced either.  

Thanks,

Marc Mandel

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".