Subject: Strange problem with Sergey's cygwin.dll and remote X
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

6 Jun 1997 12:11:26 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test57 (27 Apr 97)
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Perl5 Mail::Internet v1.28
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I've recently installed Sergey's cygwin.dll and have been very happy
with the performance improvement.  I've noticed a strange interaction
between it and a product I've been evaluating, however.

The product is Nterprise.  It is an add-on to Windows-NT which allows
one to use Windows-NT applications on any X server.  I've been evaluating
this product for a few months and have been less than thrilled with its
performance, but, for the most part, if you are willing to wait for windows
to appear and if you are willing to try several times to "login", eventually
you may get an almost usable NT window running on an X server.

I had been using bash with no problem prior to updating to Sergey's
cygwin.  Now, whenever I start up a gnuwin remotely application it
'hangs' for an indefinite period.  Reverting to stock B18 "cures" the
problem.

Obviously this is a problem with Nterprise, not cygwin, since the same
software works perfectly when invoked locally.  I'd like to be able to
debug this problem, however, so that I can report back to the Nterprise
folks with a specific function that is failing (I suspect that it has
something to do with the querying of console colors or something like that).

I am at a loss, however, as to how to debug this.  I've built a cygwin.dll
from scratch with Sergey's patches, but then, how do I debug it?  Attempting
to invoke gdb remotely hangs due to the problem I mentioned above.  Attempting
to start gdb with the "good" dll and start a test program with the "bad"
dll just dies with stack failures or whatever -- this is the standard
problem you see when you have two different versions of cygwin.dll in
your path.

So, how do I debug this?  Certainly there must be some method for doing
this or new cygwin.dll development is severely hampered.

Any insight would be appreciated.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".