Subject: rename() in b18
From: [email-masked]

5 Jun 1997 23:07:46 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked] (Cygnus Discussion)
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL22]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

	I've been experimenting with an odd problem with rename(), and am
apparently running into the same (or similar) problem that another person
reported here earlier (by Greg Neujahr).

	I've traced it to the point that it seems that rename() will fail
consistently if there is one or more open file handles on the target
parameter (as in "rename( source, target )").  The errno is 13 (EACCES),
which I think is what Greg was getting.  This doesn't seem to happen with
b17.1, as I haven't changed any code since installing b18.

	I've tried using unlink() to erase the target file before calling
rename(), and although unlink() successfully removes the file, rename()
still fails with the same error.

	I'm running WinNT 4.0, by the way.

	I would like to say, though, that b18 *did* fix an annoying bug
with fork(), and for that I'm most grateful.  8-)

-- 
Ernest M. Crvich
Raleigh/Durham, NC
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".