Subject: Re: Patch spamming
From: [email-masked] (David Coe)

5 Jun 1997 19:04:48 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Tim Iverson <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Tim Iverson wrote:
> 
> Please stop sending large patches to the mailing list.  IMHO, this is
> worse than junk-mail spam -- at least those are small.  If you have
> some wonderful patch set, by all means send it to Cygnus and announce
> it to the list.  But, please don't subject all of us to 100KB of "patch
> of the day".

It's probably best to take a pragmatic approach on this one. Last
month's Gnu-win32 mail archive looks like about 2.5M compressed. Patch
attachments don't make up much of that so I guess we're just a verbose
(or troubled) bunch!

Generally I find the patches (eg those from Sergey) pretty useful and
would be sorry to see them squirreled away inaccessibly. Unless the
Cygnus crew can provide an 'incoming' ftp facility, we're probably stuck
with (restrained) mail attachments. Alternatively, do we have enough
mass yet for a newsgroup? There are many, many less busy than this list!

-- 
Dr David Coe			     \=\
58 Fairlawn Drive, East Grinstead     \=\   Tel +44 1342 326860
West Sussex, RH19 1NT, United Kingdom  \=\  Fax +44 1342 316019
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".