Subject: Re: gnumake and NT
From: [email-masked] (Roger Kuhlman)

5 Jun 1997 14:06:18 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Chris Faylor" at Jun 4, 97 01:09:22 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL25]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Greetings:

	I am currently working on porting a huge C++ project with
3-level recursive makefiles. I was getting a huge slowdown and
cannot fork type messages. Any file that was opened when the failed
fork occurred got pieces of the page-file written to it. This is NOT 
a gnu-win problem, but an NT memory management problem.  This does
not ocurr under win95.

	I stopped these occurrences when I called make with the -j 1 option,
and set the recursive calls to make within the makefiles to also use
the -j 1 option.  Compile times speeded up and memory usage shrank 
significantly. Does anyone know if any of the service packs cures this
problem??

	Thanks,
	Roger Kuhlman
	e-mail: [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".