Subject: Re: Patch spamming
From: [email-masked] (Seymore Buttz)

5 Jun 1997 03:56:40 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <19970604132533770.AAB97@balingwire>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.0b5 [en] (Win95; I)
Original-To: GNU Win 32 <[email-masked]>
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> 
> Just to offer another viewpoint, I don't mind that people are posting
> patches to the list.  It's much more convenient for me to get the
> patches this way -- if I had to ftp them all, I'm sure I'd miss some
> of them.  I have a normal 33.6kbps dialup connection to my ISP, yet I
> still only spend a few minutes a day downloading e-mail.  As long as
> people remain judicious about keeping the size of postings
> reasonable, I don't see a problem.  BTW, I've been on the list for
> close to a year now, and this is the first time I've seen someone
> complain about this.  I tend to think that most people don't mind.

I've been on for a while as well, and it's much better having people
attach the patches to emails.  I just file them into a folder, then when
I am ready to apply them, I'm ready to go.

Plus you get the added benefit of a message attached, perhaps containing
the necessary instructions, requirements, and all.  And without any one
central ftp site to house all the various patches, you're gonna be
spending more time tracking things down.

Most patches are so small, 100k tops maybe?  If you have a 2400 baud
modem, that'd only take 7 minutes (miniscule, considering the 16 hours
it takes to download cdk.exe :) ).  More realistically, most people hav
e at least a 14.4k modem, it takes a whopping minute.  In one minute you
have it all, rather than spending 5 minutes looking for that one email
from a week ago, going to some ftp site it mentions (which could be
down), etc.

Pay no mind, keep on posting the patches!
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".