Subject: Re: problems with patch.exe
From: [email-masked]

4 Jun 1997 21:43:53 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01Gold (Win95; I)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

John Garnett ([email-masked]) wrote:
> I'm using GNU-WIN32 b18 on Windows NT 4.0 with service pack 3 installed.
> I'm trying to use the 'diff' and 'patch' that come with b18 to create a 
> diff and apply it via the patch.exe program. I can get patch.exe to work 
> for simple diffs and small files but it dies for larger files.
> I saw the same problem with b17.

Yes, I noticed this problem as well, in situations similar to those you
experienced.  It appears to be a problem with patch 2.1, the version
distributed with b17.1 and b18.  patch 2.3, recently made available at
prep.ai.mit.edu, solves the problem.  I built a Win32 executable from
these patch 2.3 sources, needing to modify only the Makefile and
config.h files. I can post or send these files or the executable if
there is interest.

FYI, I still use b17.1 on my Win95 machine.  I tried b18, but went back
to b17.1 because of the previously-reported slowness in program
start-up, plus the breaking of a program under b18 which works fine
under b17.1. (In this program, I invoke select(), which other posters
have reported to have problems in b18.)

-Bob Miracky
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".