Subject: Re: EXE has file junk in it
From: [email-masked] ("Ron G. Minnich")

4 Jun 1997 10:43:45 -0700
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.970604111933.24696A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@terra>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: rminnich@terra
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, jman wrote:
> Using a hex editor I see this too. If you hex edit a file compiled with
> gnuwin32 it shows files from other dir in it. This has happened on both
> NT/Win95. It goes so far as getting a copy of my users an .pwd files. I
> see it as a security risk an advise not compiling any file with gnuwin32
> that has sensitive matter on your hd... 

If this is happening on NT it is a major problem. You should not blame
gnuwin32 -- this is a failing of NT. Is this on vat or vfat or ntfs or
all? If it's chunks of swap space from the page file then it will probably
be file system independent. very bad. My guess is the microsoft tools
cover for this major hole, so microsoft does not realize it is there. 

what's amusing if this is true is that there was an article in Byte 
magazine by some navy guy who claimed that NT did not have this 
particular failing. It's one reason they gave it the orange book 
certification level that they did. amazing. 

ron
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".